Sunday, October 17, 2010

My First Critique


Title: I’m Set Free
Photographer: Nayland Blake
Date: 2010


Written Response:

When I saw this photograph I realized that life can be seen everywhere, and can grow out of any place that we have built things on or around. I saw that the plant was trapped behind plywood and still it found a hole that allowed it to break free from what held it back. It allows me to feel confident because it shows that no matter what holds you back you can find a way around it. I see a plants branches extending through a gap in a crisp blue plywood wall. I see some white silhouettes to the right of the picture
showing me that something or someone was positioned near the plywood wall. In this picture I see organic lines in the plants branches and I see some geometric lines in the plywood. I also see value, which enhances the plants colour and creates the illusion of a huge space from which the plant had developed. The value creates contrast between the green branches and yellow buds to the blue plywood and causes the silhouettes to the right. I see geometric shape in the square sheet of plywood that creates the doors. I also see colour in the picture, primary colours in this picture are blue as seen in the plywood and yellow seen in the plants buds, the secondary colour that I see in this picture is green. The primary colours create a contrast and seem to compliment the bright green coloured plant well and that makes the picture visually attractive. The picture shows illusory texture and allows us to imagine feeling the plants smooth leaves, partially hard stem and soft buds and it also allows us to imagine running our hands over the rough plywood. Space is created between the focal point being the tip of the plants branches and the point at which the plan seems to spring into freedom.  Form is seen in the plant because of the lighting and how it seems to make the plant seem 3 dimensional; the contrast allows us to feel like we can see the full plant. The reason behind the lighting making the plant seem 3 dimensional is because the light seems to highlight the plant and yet does not reach the part of the plant that is covered by the wall of plywood making the plant seem as if it was fully shown. There is an asymmetrical balance in this picture because of the plants branches reaching out towards the right as well as the silhouettes on the right side of the plywood where as there is nothing to the left side and yet the picture still appears balanced. This is caused by the photographer’s focal point; however the silhouettes will still cause the unequal ambience to the picture. In this picture there is dominance/emphasis because the artist has taken the picture in a way where the plant is in the centre and has a complimenting colour to the background colour (Blue Plywood). I also see the lines on the plywood and the plant being the only part with no geometric lines in the picture it enhances the plants appearance and increases authentic atmosphere. I find that there is a contrast in this picture because of the cooler blue from the background and the warmer yellow from the plants bud. I also see that the plywood is much larger compared to the plant and that causes a contrast. All these elements in the photograph give it a unified aura and make the image look and seem more harmonious. In my own opinion I think that this picture symbolize freedom from things that trap you, it shows you that you can do anything you want no matter what blocks your path.  The picture allows you to see the beauty of life and that everything can be free. The picture shows happiness with its contrasting colours and it shows the photographers wanted to express joy. I think the artists view of the world is to show that you can do whatever you want as long as you have a drive to keep you going towards your goal. The fact that the light only reaches the part of the plant that is beyond the plywood made me realize that hard work pays off and that when you strive for greatness you will eventually be rewarded as seen when the plant streaches its branches out from the shadows to bask in the light of the sun’s rays. Nayland Blake aside from being an artist is an educator and writer. He currently resides in Brooklyn and has shared the past 3 years of his life with a dog named lehigh. What I thought about the picture after was how Nayland Blake would have felt when he saw the plant, when I think of it and put the picture with the title I feel as if he took the picture imagining himself as the plant and forgetting all the responsibilities that he had, any word that he had to do or anything that made him feel like he was busy all the time or that stressed him out. He could have also thought about the plants simplicity and ability to just exist and have so much meaning to someone else and he could have thought about trying to imagine what he would have been going through if he was the plant. Then again Mr. Blake could have just wanted to show the beauty of nature and how everything was created with a purpose and ability to attain whatever they want.  


By critiquing work by Nayland Blake I was able to learn to critique my own work and this was a skill that came in very handy through out the course because it allowed me to find the flaws in my work and correct them by asking my self what the significance of each object was and if it took away from my art or if it contributed. At this point in the course this skill was a great thing to learn because it contributed to bettering my art.